Teddy (right) and Beau (left)
My first red on a fly rod
West Pointe a la Hache, Louisiana
Thomas Charles (“TC”) Turner, Jr. is a by God Texas Longhorn and a founding member of Buckley & Turner, PLLC. A native of Midland and a reluctant Houstonian, he is Board Certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and is additionally licensed in Louisiana and New Mexico. Although trained in the common law at the University of Texas School of Law, TC has come to admire the finer points of Louisiana civil law.
AREAS OF LAW
TC’s oil and gas practice involves transactional and title work, as well as litigation. He routinely examines complex mineral title and has rendered countless title opinions, including drilling, division order, and acquisition title opinions. His work in Texas spans the Permian Basin, Barnett Shale, East Texas, and the Eagle Ford Shale in South Texas, while his work in Louisiana includes the Tuscaloosa Marine Shale in Central and Eastern Louisiana and the Brown Dense play in Northern Louisiana. TC’s work in New Mexico encompasses state, federal and fee lands in the Permian Basin of Eastern New Mexico (Lea and Eddy Counties). TC is proud to report he can correctly pronounce potash, and humbled to admit his wife first corrected him.
In addition to title matters, TC routinely counsels his clients on regulatory and operational matters involving the Texas Railroad Commission, the Louisiana Office of Conservation, the New Mexico State Land Office and the Federal Bureau of Land Management. TC’s litigation practice involves the proper construction of deeds and contracts under declaratory judgment acts as well as suits for unpaid/underpaid royalties.
TC’s wills, estates and probate practice centers on estate planning and will drafting. He has drafted numerous complex wills and estate documents, including powers of attorney, HIPAA releases, and end of life directives. TC is most at home in his probate practice when deciphering multigenerational intestacy issues. He routinely clears title through heirship proceedings or small estate affidavits, and conducts independent and dependent administrations in Texas. He similarly probates estates in New Mexico, and conducts succession proceedings in Louisiana.
LEADERSHIP, MEMBERSHIP & HONORS
Outside of his law practice, TC is an active member of the AAPL and serves on the Louisiana Social Committee of the HAPL. He is also a member of the PBLA.
TC is a very active member of the Texas Lawyers Assistance Program as a volunteer and is a member of the State Bar’s Standing Committee for the Lawyers Assistance Program. He is also an active member of the Texas Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers group and was the 2016 President of the organization. TC is a staunch advocate for recovery from mental health and drug and alcohol addiction issues that plague the legal profession. He routinely speaks at conventions and local meetings about recovery methods and resources available to the legal community.
When not in the office, TC can be found fly fishing in New Mexico or Colorado, walking his two toy poodles, Teddy and Beau, or spending time with his wife, Kathleen
AREAS OF PRACTICE
University of Texas School of Law
- New Mexico Landmen’s Association Spring Seminar “Overview of New Mexico Oil and Gas Law”
May 4, 2018, Roswell, New Mexico
- “A Primer on New Mexico Oil and Gas Law: State, Federal, and Fee Lands”
– LSU Journal of Energy Law and Resources, Vol. VI, April 12, 2018.
– Section Report of the Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Law Section of the State Bar of Texas,
Vol. 42, No. 2 (Winter 2018).
- “Backwardation Is Here (To Stay?)” – Rocky Mountain Landman – Vol.25, Issue 6 – Denver Association of Petroleum Landmen, January, 2018.
- “Killers of the Flower Moon – Book Review,” Dallas Association of Professional Landmen Newsletter, September, 2017.
- “85th Legislative Update,” Houston Association of Professional Landmen Newsletter, May, 2017.
- “Louisiana Update” (Part 1) (Part 2), AAPL Landman Magazine, Vol. 62, No. 2, May/June 2017.
- South Texas College of Law Wellness Forum March 28, 2017 – Houston, TX – Speaker: “Mental Health and Substance Abuse Issues in the Practice of Law.” (TX CLE #901376066)
- “Allocation Well Update,” (updated) Dallas Association of Professional Landmen’s Newsletter, March, 2017.
- “Allocation Well Update,” Permian Basin Landmen’s Association Newsletter,
- “Louisiana Update 2016,” Section Report of the Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Law Section of the State Bar of Texas, Vol. 41, No. 1 (Fall 2016).
- “The Federal Helium Reserve,” Houston Association of Professional Landmen Newsletter, November, 2016.
- “Potash in the Permian Basin of New Mexico,” Permian Basin Landmen’s Association Newsletter, October, 2016 (revised).
- “The Price of Oil and the U. S. Dollar,” Houston Association of Professional Landmen Newsletter, October, 2016.
- “Potash in the Permian Basin of New Mexico,” Houston Association of Professional Landmen Newsletter, September, 2016.
- “The Price of Oil and the Commitment of Traders Report,” Houston Association of Professional Landmen Newsletter, August, 2016.